Don’t be overwhelmed with the data; It's a good problem to have :)
In a nutshell, here’s what we always recommend:
- Reach out to your influencers (> 10,000 followers) and turn them into ambassadors.
- Contact the micro-influencers (1,000 — 10,000 followers) to get them to post about you. Typically with a free product or voucher. Usually, you have hundreds or thousands of them so reach out to many of them at once.
- Use the keyword search to find bloggers/journalists or even investors, etc to work with.
It’s important that you focus on doing one thing at a time.
Let’s look into each point more closely:
Reach out to the influencers
These are your customers who have more than 10,000 followers, sometimes even more than 50k. These Influencers can have a real impact to your business if they post about you. Therefore they are worth your time to reach out and build a relationship.
In addition to pure follower count, also check their engagement rate, which shows how many of their followers are liking and commenting on their posts (that’s the small number below the Instagram icon, bottom right). For Influencers you want that number to be at least above 1%, preferably higher.
- Go through the list and find your best influencers and by looking at follower count and engagement rate
- Check out their posts and reach out to the influencers that fit your niche via email or Instagram direct message (only recommended if they follow you)
Ideas for your outreach:
- Offer store credits and/or payment in exchange for posting a few times
- Offer to access and review exclusive (not yet available publicly) products
- Offer goodies and giveaways to their followers
- Offer a referral code for 20% off for their followers
Reach out to the micro-influencers
Micro-influencers typically have between 1,000 and 10,000 followers. However, brands should not underestimate their influence. Many micro-influencers are hyper-specialized, covering very specific niches, and their followers look towards their content for guidance.
For Micro-influencer, you should look for people with at least 2.5% engagement rate. Often times their engagement rate goes up to 10%. These are the customers that you want to work with!
You might have hundreds or even thousands within your customer base, so you want to reach out to them automatically and at scale.
- Quickly go through all micro-influencers and identify the ones that fit your business based on their reach and vertical
- Email them all at once, and tell them that they get a voucher if they post about their purchase.
Find bloggers and journalists
Next thing our customers usually do is using our powerful full-text search to find bloggers and journalists. If you have these treasure among your customers, you want to know.
We’ve seen companies get featured in all kinds of publications, including TechCrunch, after they’ve realized that one of their journalists was using or buying their product regularly.
Additionally, one client had more than 1,000 bloggers among their customers, so they started a huge campaign reaching out to these bloggers to get featured, which not only brought traffic and sales, but also increased their SEO.
To get started, simply search for “blogger” or “journalist”. This search goes through every information that we have about your customers, so if you don’t see them mentioning “blogger”, it’s probably in one of the fields we don’t show (such as another bio or older employment info).
Go through them and reach out with suggestions for a campaign. You’ll be surprised how many will work with you.